September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month! Need information on screenings? Click here for a list of locations.
The objectives of the Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition are to:
- Save lives by promoting AWARENESS of prostate cancer in Georgia – including the make up of the disease, importance of early detection, treatment options, and survival.
- Promote AWARENESS of the Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition as an effective organization devoted to the fight against prostate cancer.
- ADVOCATE at the Federal, State and Local levels to increase awareness, devote funds for prostate cancer research to find the cause of and a cure for prostate cancer. Provide appropriate support to the National Prostate Cancer Coalition.
- GROW the Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition membership to a point where it is highly capable of achieving the above mentioned goals.
- FACILITATE information exchange among Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition, prostate cancer support groups and other appropriate advocacy groups in Georgia.
Georgia Prostate Cancer Coalition Disputes Task Force's PSA Advice
Prostate Cancer in Georgia (From: American Cancer Sociey - "Cancer Facts and Figures 2012")
|Estimated new cases
||19th lowest state per capita
||4th highest state per capita
While prostate cancer and breast cancer have approximately the same number of new cases in Georgia; in the year 2012, the ACS Call Center received 2745 calls for breast cancer information and only 363 calls for information on prostate cancer. GPCC believes these figures indicate that men of Georgia are not benefiting from early detection and, once diagnosed, are not seeking information to understand their disease.